How to Participate in 2024 ALA CAGS
1. Check here if your school has already been sponsored by an American Legion Auxiliary Unit for 2024 ALA CAGS.
2. If your school is listed, contact the sponsoring American Legion Auxiliary Unit to learn how and when candidates are selected. The sponsoring ALA Unit will select a delegate, 1st alternate, and 2nd alternate from each school it sponsors. Every year we have 1st alternates and 2nd alternates who attend the session.
3. If your school is not listed, contact your local American Legion Auxiliary Unit to inquire if they would be willing to sponsor your school. If the ALA Unit chooses to sponsor your school, there is no guarantee that you will be selected as a delegate, 1st alternate, or 2nd alternate. Find your local American Legion Auxiliary Unit here.
4. If you need assistance contacting your local American Legion Auxiliary Unit, complete the 2024 ALA CA Girls State Inquiry form.
5. Students who attend schools that are not sponsored by an ALA Unit for 2024 ALA CAGS will be invited to submit Department Alternate Applications in April. If an American Legion Auxiliary Unit has a selected candidate who no longer can attend ALA CAGS, that Unit can select a Department Alternate as a replacement. In 2023, each of the Department Alternate applicants were invited to attend.
Funding is often a limiting factor for American Legion Auxiliary Units to sponsor schools to 2024 ALA CAGS. ALA Units will submit an estimated $525/student for 2024 ALA CAGS, plus transportation (~$200/student). If you are interested in assisting a local American Legion Auxiliary Unit sponsor a specific school, please contact the local American Legion Auxiliary Unit directly.
If you would like to assist any American Legion Auxiliary Unit in their efforts to sponsor a student to 2024 ALA CAGS, please use this Donation Transmittal Form to send a donation earmarked for ALA Girls State to American Legion Auxiliary, Department of California. Leave the Unit Name, Unit #, and District # fields blank. Please enter your name on the Unit GS Chairperson line, and fill in your phone number and email. Funds will be used to assist ALA Units throughout California in their efforts to sponsor more students to 2024 ALA CA Girls State. Donations are not earmarked to sponsor a specific student to the program.